The Barfoot Family

Curdridge

CURDRIDGE, formerly a tithing, was constituted a civil parish in 1894: it is on the road from Bishop's Waltham to Southampton, 3 miles south-west from Bishop's Waltham, near the Botley station on the South Western railway; in the Eastern division of the county, Droxford union and petty sessional division, Bishop's Waltham county court district, and in the rural deanery of Bishop's Waltham and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester.

The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1838, from the civil parish of Bishop's Waltham, and a small church was then erected. The present church of St. Peter, built in 1887, near the site of the old church at a cost of about 6,000, and consecrated Nov. 6th, 1888, is an edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, from designs by T. G. Jackson esq. R.A. and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, 84 feet high, erected in 1894, by William Cory esq. of Fullerton Manor, and his sister, to the memory of their brother Charles, the clock and 8 bells being presented at the same time by Mrs. Liddell, as a memorial to her brother C. Cory esq. ... There are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1835.

The area is 2,170 acres; assessable value, 5,835; the population in 1901 was 627.

Extract from Kelly's directory of Hampshire, 1907.

Grid reference: SU5213


Back to the Barfoot Family page