The Barfoot Family

Hedge End

HEDGE END is a civil parish formed in 1894 by Local Government Board Order 32,031, and an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1876, out of the parish of Botley and of St. James', West End, in the civil parish of South Stoneham; it is 2½ miles west from Botley station on the Winchester and Gosport section of the London and South Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, South Stoneham union, petty sessional division and county court district of Southampton, rural deanery of Bishop's Waltham and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester.

The church of St. John the Evanhelist, built in 1874, at a cost of 3,600, is an edifice of Swanage stone in the Decorated style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, south transept, south porch and a tower on the south side, with a spire, and containing a clock and one bell: there are three stained windows in the chancel and one in the nave: the church will seat 250 persons. The register dates from the year 1876.

The area is 1,706 acres of land and 2 of water; rateable value, 5,706; the population in 1901 was 893.

Extract from Kelly's directory of Hampshire, 1907.

Grid reference: SU4812


Back to the Barfoot Family page